Who are we?
Through sustainable teak plantations, we contribute to reforest degraded areas for farming activities. This reduces the negative impact on the environment by transforming tons of CO2 into oxygen.
The seeds we use to produce teak are certified and we utilize the best practices of sustainable silviculture to harness and streamline all resources for tree growth processes. All this is performed also in an area of 1,200 hectares.
What is this service about?
- We reduce the negative impact on the environment by transforming thousands of tons of CO2 into oxygen; were cover water from aquifers and help to create a forest sustainable culture in the region.
- We support nearby communities with medical brigades, crop development, job creation, and home building.
- Utilizing the best techniques of silviculture for the optimal management of the plantation, we use certified seeds to produce teak in an area of 1,200 hectares.
- We count with sustainable processes to seize and streamline all available resources for tree growth.
- Teak is a leafy tree that can reach a height between 30 and 40 meters. Because of its appearance it is classified as precious wood.
- Teak´s natural resins and oils have properties of impermeability and resistance to sunlight and acids. Teak repels termite plagues and fungal infestation and when in contact with metals is not damaged.
- Because of its properties, teak is an ideal wood for producing furniture, luxury boats, floors, doors, frames and packaging.
How do we do it?
- To ensure the survival and quality of the plant, we first use specialized techniques for agriculture to prepare the ground based on land-use studies.
- Our experts supervise our commercial plantations.
- The seeds we use are internationally certified.
- We utilize specialized forestry equipment to ensure higher process efficiency.
- In accordance with our commitment to the environment, we utilize organic products for fertilization that prevent aquifers from being polluted.
- Because our plant requires a minimum amount of 1,200 millimeters per year, we utilize an automated drip irrigation system in our plantation.
Where do we work?
To find the region with ideal conditions for planting teak tree, and to develop the service forest plantations, BIEECO conducted a thorough search around the country that took us to the municipality of Tizimín, east of Yucatan, where today is located Rancho San Miguel, which houses the teak plantation.
It is a forest area that was degraded by activities such as excessive logging and livestock, where thousands of hectares of forest were turned into grassland. In addition, it is a region of high marginalization, with 70% of the population living in poverty, and 1 in 5 people in extreme poverty.
The installation of Rancho San Miguel has come to benefit the population of Tizimín by recovering the forestry vocation of over 1,000 hectares of eroded land. It is the largest project of reforestation of Yucatan, which serves as a lung for the region, as a shield against wind erosion, and the protection of local fauna.
Plus it has generated jobs for more than 100 families from the surrounding communities, who now have legal benefits and housing facilities to acquire and undertake agro-business.